|N.B. The subject of this article is not something created by Andrew Hussie. However, it is considered relevant to the Wiki's scope due to connections it has to one or more of his works.|
Undertale is an RPG created by Toby Fox. It was released on September 15, 2015, and quickly gained widespread acclaim.
Connections with MSPAEdit
As Toby Fox is part of the Homestuck music team, there are several things in Undertale that could be seen as references to Homestuck:
- In the Kickstarter for the game, the top reward tier was "Your fantroll will become canon in UnderTale." This is a direct reference to the Homestuck Adventure Game Kickstarter reward.
- Aaron – an extremely buff partially equine creature who sweats and flexes – may be a reference to Equius and his Lusus, especially regarding the unique interaction with the somewhat catlike Temmie.
- Pyrope – a portmanteau of pyro (fire) and rope – may be a reference to Terezi Pyrope and/or Neophyte Redglare, due to their associations with ropes in the context of hangings.
- There is a manticore in the lobby of MTT Resort that bears a vague resemblance to Jade Harley.
- The Hotland area is highly reminiscent of the Land of Heat and Clockwork, while the Waterfall area is similar to the Land of Wind and Shade.
- "sans." was originally a track named "muscle" that was composed for a Homestuck-related project.
- "Another Medium" is derived from "Patient", an unfinished remix of "Doctor". The same motif also appears in "Waterfall", "CORE", and "Death by Glamour".
- "Oh My..." is very similar to the opening chords of "Killed by BR8K Spider!!!!!!!!".
- "MEGALOVANIA" appears in the game, although this is not strictly a Homestuck reference, as Megalovania is Toby's 'signature' song and has been used in multiple projects.
Common sound effectsEdit
- "Dogsong" uses Mario Paint Composer sound effects. These sound effects have been heavily used in Homestuck, particularly for music relating to Nepeta, and also in the Trickster arc.
- Flowey's laugh is the same sound clip as has been used for menacing cherub laughter in Homestuck, for example as heard in "The Lordling", or on
- Sans's whoopee cushion sound clip is the same as that used in
- The sound effect when killing a monster in Undertale is the same sound effect in Openbound Part Two when Mituna crashes into the ground after doing a (not so) sick grind.