The Troll Call was a weekly Hiveswap event whereby a pair of new canonical Hiveswap trolls were revealed every Wednesday around 20:00 CET on the What Pumpkin Tumblr and on a dedicated tracker on Hiveswap.com, in what was likely intended to be a build-up for the planned release of Hiveswap: Act 2 in Spring of 2018. Troll Call was announced and debuted on November 11th, 2017, via the What Pumpkin Tumblr, with the reveal of the first two Troll Call trolls, Zebede Tongva and Tyzias Entykk. The last two trolls, Lanque Bombyx and Remele Namaaq, were revealed on March 14th, 2018, exactly 6 months after the release of Hiveswap: Act 1 (September 14th, 2017). Although this marked the end of the Troll Call, What Pumpkin hinted that the event may return in the future and that we should "wait and sea", perhaps hinting that a future Troll Call would introduce some Seadwellers, who were not present in this initial run.
The Troll Call tracker consists of an image of 36 "troll cards", containing the images of each Troll Call troll to be featured in silhouette, with cards being filled in with detail and a link to further information about each troll as they are revealed. The 36 silhouettes represented 38 Troll Call trolls revealed in total (as the Soleil twins take up only a single card, as do Folykl and Kuprum). Several of the revealed Troll Call trolls later went on to be featured in Hiveswap Friendsim volumes, building on their characters and giving them a greater spotlight.
All of the Troll Call trolls bear symbols taken from the Alternian library of signs known as the extended zodiac. Information regarding sign names, Lunar Sway and Aspect are provided by the official Hiveswap website's Extended Zodiac section. As the Hiveswap and Hauntswitch games are believed to not be directly linked to The Game, any information regarding aspects and lunar sway may not be relevant to Hiveswap itself.
Troll statistics and demographyEdit
The Troll Call introduced 38 individual Alternian trolls from the Homestuck/Hiveswap universe, radically expanding the number of named troll characters known. Of these trolls, fourteen use he/him pronouns, twenty use she/her pronouns, two use they/them pronouns, and Barzum and Baizli have yet to have their pronouns confirmed. Although gender counts cannot be directly made as pronouns are not necessarily an indicator of gender, Charun and Cirava (the same pair who are confirmed to use they/them pronouns), have been confirmed to be non-binary, and one troll, Lanque, has been confirmed to be transgender (It is unknown if in Alternian culture the two non-binary trolls would also come under the transgender umbrella). These three trolls represent the first known example of non-binary and transgender identities in Alternian culture, as well as, in Lanque, the first explicitly transgender character in the Homestuck/Hiveswap canon.
Of the 38 trolls, there are three burgundy-bloods, three bronze-bloods, five gold-bloods, four olive-bloods, five jade-bloods , five teal-bloods, four cerulean-bloods, four indigo-bloods, and five purple-bloods. The Troll Call did not reveal any lime-bloods, or any new blood mutants or seadwellers. The lack of seadwellers could be seen to reflect their comparative rarity of highbloods to lowbloods described in Homestuck, although the rest of the revealed trolls do not follow such a ratio, and in fact the two lowest rungs of the hemospectrum are the least represented in the Troll Call. Given this, perhaps the lack of seadwellers was more of a deliberate choice, and furthermore it was hinted that Seadwellers may appear in a future iteration of the Troll Call.
Two trolls, Ardata and Marvus, currently have unknown signs, although Marvus was briefly depicted in the Troll Call roster wearing the Caprist sign on a top hat. What Pumpkin later stated that this was not his actual sign. Only one troll has an unknown name; the unidentified purple-blooded troll with the Caprira sign, although one other, Elwurd, has an unknown first name and is thus known only by her second name. It is possible that these missing details will be revealed in Hiveswap: Act 2, Hiveswap Friendsim volumes, or other later Hiveswap/Hauntswitch acts/content.
Going by the lunar sways associated with their extended zodiac signs, 22 trolls have Prospit sway, whereas only 14 have Derse sway, and two others have unknown sway due to their having unknown signs. The reason for this uneven lunar sway ratio, with a tendency for the introduced trolls to have Prospit sway, if there is one, is unknown. The disparity may rather be simply coincidental (or accidental on the part of What Pumpkin). The most represented aspect is hope with 6 trolls (4 Prospit, 2 Derse), while the least represented is life with one troll (Lanque, a Prospit dreamer). There are no Prospit-bound trolls that are also void-bound, and there are no Derse-bound trolls that are either life-bound or time-bound. The list of aspects based on troll call representation is Hope (6), Mind (5), Breath (3), Heart (3), Rage (3), Blood (3), Doom (3), Void (3), Light (2), Time (2), Space (2), and Life (1).
Troll Call trolls Edit
The following list is made in order of introduction, not by order of the hemospectrum.
- Main article: Zebede Tongva
- aspiring beekeeper
- 3 hours too far away to visit
- subchirps you when you don't
- Main article: Tyzias Entykk
- sleeps once a week
- ask her about her controversial theroies regarding traditional jurisprudence
- that's not coffee
- Main article: Mallek Adalov
- master of the blockchain
- 13 piercings as of the last count
- sweet kicks
- been in detention for her entire life
- imitation grubhorn bracelet
- ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb
Her first name is a reference to the series "Daria," and is also the Somali translation for “darling”, which may be referencing Kanaya. Her last name is a reference to Joan Jett and possibly pronounced the same.
- they share a lusus / [they share everything]
- communicate with each other telepathically... / [...and through unbroken dead-eyed stares]
They and Baizli were originally shown as a single silhouette with both of their larger "horns" on the Troll Call. Their first name is a reference to "Barnum" of Barnum & Bailey Circus and their last name is a reference to Cirque du Soleil. The two are the first known case of troll siblings and visually seems to be reluctant to "share everything". Both Barzum and Baizli have explicitly not had their genders revealed. The name Barzum, in the Black Speech, means "darkness". The word Soleil means (of a charge) surrounded by rays, as of the sun. The name Barzum Soleil means "surrounded by darkness".
- [they share a lusus] / they share everything
- [communicate with each other telepathically...] / ...and through unbroken dead-eyed stares
- keeps hydrated
They and Barzum were originally shown as a single silhouette with both of their larger "horns" on the Troll Call. Their first name is a reference to "Bailey" of Barnum & Bailey Circus and their last name is a reference to Cirque du Soleil. The two are the first known case of troll siblings, and seems to be the initiator of "sharing everything". Both Barzum and Baizli have explicitly not had their genders revealed.
- active in Muscular Theater
- lost a leg but gained the upper hand
- subcultural gatekeeper
Nihkee is phonetically similar to the name Nikki, and Moolah is slang for money and is also a reference to famous woman's wrestler Fabulous Moolah. Her belt also reflects this as it is reminiscent of a WWE championship belt. Her first name may also be a reference to Nike, the Greek goddess of victory who only had one wing; Nihkee having only one leg may reflect this. Although Nihkee's pronouns were not used officially following her reveal, a post by team member Poinko refers to her using she/her.
- Main article: Chahut Maenad
- 2 weeks from exile
- single and ready to mangle
- loves to scrapbook!
- Main article: Diemen Xicali
- All About That Oblong Meat Product
- oblong meat product contents: uncertain
- current oblong meat product temperature: 65 degrees fahrenheit
- Main article: Skylla Koriga
- vegetarian, somehow
- mouth twig passed down from her lusus's mouth
- what IS tarnation?
Folykl Darane Edit
- Main article: Folykl Darane
- quietly drains psychic energy like an app you forgot to close out
- whats a shower
Kuprum Maxlol Edit
- Main article: Kuprum Maxlol
- knows exactly to the best psychics and is, sincerely, THRILLED
- strident online crusader for the empire
Charun Krojib Edit
- lost and found artist
- eats worms inside their cave, not as bad as it sounds
- deconstructively organized
From their outfit, they appear to be some form of gardener which could explain why they eat worms in their cave. Charun is the name of a psychopomp (one who guides the souls of the dead) in Estrucan mythology, based on Charon from Greek mythology (the ferryman of the underworld). They were the first known nonbinary troll and use they/them pronouns. Krojib could be a backwards Trollification of the Icelandic surname Björk, meaning "birch"; it is also the surname of Philip Reese Bjork, an American geologist and paleontologist known for his work in unearthing dinosaur species in America. They were designed by Poinko.
Amisia Erdehn Edit
- Main article: Amisia Erdehn
- money can't buy talent but it does buy very expensive lessons
- cutting off heads is harder than you'd think
- makes her own paint
Polypa Goezee Edit
- Main article: Polypa Goezee
- cant's catch her if she's on fire*
- pittiless mercenary
- gives excellent relationship advice... to the highest bidder
*bandages unrelated to fire
Tegiri Kalbur Edit
- Main article: Tegiri Kalbur
- Just according to plan.*
- over 300 confirmed culls
- now that alternia is on fire and the lowbloods are at the door, you ask for his help?
Tirona Kasund Edit
- Main article: Tirona Kasund
- His Honorable Tyranny's littlest fan
- ruthless calculus
Lynera Skalbi Edit
- Main article: Lynera Skalbi
- self-appointed to the honor roll
- hollow-point bullet journal
- she's got a list of names and they're all in red, underlined
- Main article: ?????? Elwurd
Galekh Xigisi Edit
- Main article: Galekh Xigisi
- 
- knows too much
- not finished talking
Vikare Ratite Edit
- Main article: Vikare Ratite
- absurd dreams of non-interstellar flight
- feet on the ground, head in the sky
- huge Hatched 2 Dance stan
Boldir Lamati Edit
- big coat, bigger secrets
- on a mission to expose the deep-state lunacracy
- foil-lined hat protects her from celestial influences
Lunacracy seems to be a form of government in which the nation is ruled by the moon. In Uzbek, Boldir refers to the calf of the leg, but can also mean "abundant". It could also be a trollification of the Norse god Baldr. Boldir could additionally be a trollification of the word boulder, because moons look a bit like giant boulders. Boldir also sounds similar to "Mulder" the name of one of the protagonists of "The X Files," which fits in with her theme of secrets and celestial beings. Lamati might be derived from "Lamat," which is Cebuano for a magic spell cast by a supernatural being to confuse, disorient, or make people lose their way. Boldir also seems to take inspiration from Secret Squirrel, as both have large incisors and a large hat and trench coat. She was designed by Poinko.
Cirava Hermod Edit
- Main article: Cirava Hermod
- they shouldn't be alive
- MOISTUREWAVE ✌️ AESTHETIC
- ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (but with horns)
Tagora Gorjek Edit
- Main article: Tagora Gorjek
- call him gor-gor
- antisocial climber
- if he's talking you've already lost
Ardata Carmia Edit
- Main article: Ardata Carmia
Ardata Carmia is a cerulean-blooded troll with an unknown sign, as it is hidden by a cape in her Troll Call reveal card.
Marvus Xoloto Edit
Marvus Xoloto is a purple-blooded troll with an unknown sign.
- runs the shitshow
- midsummer nightmare
- texting your sister
The Caprist sign (The Audacious, Prospit sway, Time-bound) was briefly visible on his top hat on the Troll Call site; the top hat was later removed with a statement from whatpumpkin commenting: "That wasn’t his actual sign, though. Marvus is a trickster, AKA, a lying piece of shit. You’ll have to wait ‘till ACT 2 to see his actual sign. Never trust a clown, kids. They’re addicted to pranks." In the next Troll Call his hat was returned, only to be removed again sometime later. He may or may not be wearing a shirt under his ringleader-esque jacket. The word 'xoloto' is an obsolete spelling of the word 'xoloton' in Classical Nahuatl, meaning page or servant boy. It could also be a reference to the Coldplay album Mylo Xyloto. Xoloto is a term used by Juggalos to describe the event of a fake clown trying to be in with your Juggalo crew. Marvus is possibly a reference to the Insane Clown Posse album ‘The Marvelous Missing Link’. He was designed by paperseverywhere.
Fozzer Velyes Edit
His silhouette prior to his release did not display the shovel. He seems to be a gravedigger of sorts, but that profession would be useless, seeing how trolls Veles, Slavic god of earth, waters, forests and the underworld. His first name could come from the word "fossil", but also from the Spanish word "fosa", which is a hole dug specifically to bury one or more corpses. Both words link him to digging graves.. His last name is a reference to
Stelsa Sezyat Edit
- no accounting for taste
- troll jewish
- wait, what did you mean, "texting your sister"
"No accounting for taste" could be a reference either to Terezi and her tendency to taste things, or to her fashion sense, and being 'troll Jewish' is a reference to a statement Hussie Seshat. She was designed by Shelby Cragg. Stelsa's pronouns were confirmed by traceexcalibur to be she/her.on his Formspring about Terezi. Her first name could be derived from the word "stealth". Her last name is a reference to the Egyptian goddess of math and writing,
Wanshi Adyata Edit
- The brooding coverns' resident tomewriggler
- big name in the Soldier Purrbeasts fandom
- knows it. all of it
Her first name is a reference to the giant spirit owl named Wan Shi Tong who owned an extensive library in Avatar: The Last Airbender. Wanshi could be translated in Chinese to "everything." Her last name means "child of Aditi" and is another name for the sun god Surya. It could also be translated to "Adiposis" which means overweight. She was designed by Shelby Cragg, and her pronouns were confirmed in a post by team member Poinko.
Bronya Ursama Edit
- Main article: Bronya Ursama
- Main article: Chixie Roixmr
- debut album titled "CHIXIE"
- blocks all non-praise
- self-promotion sickness
- Main article: Zebruh Codakk
- olive girls are so strong... some guys are threatened by that, but he likes it a lot.
- self-proclaimed "gutterblood ally"
- already in your DMs
Azdaja Knelax Edit
- Main article: Azdaja Knelax
- you know, the number? the big one, pretty close to 10k? he's... above that amount
- PRINCE of ALL MUSTARDBLOODS
- good listener
Konyyl Okimaw Edit
- Main article: Konyyl Okimaw
- graphic violence is her passion
- spicy kicks
- a broad shoulder to cry on
Who Is This? Edit
- Seriously, I don't know who this is.
The from What Pumpkin announcing the week's troll call requests that "someone come get this troll. Please." Instead of being tagged under his name like all other troll call trolls, he was filed as "no answers here." This troll has horns painted similar colors to his facepaint, the only known example of troll horn painting. His pronouns are one of the few concrete facts known about him, from a comment made by his designer, Poinko.
Marsti Houtek Edit
- didn't choose the scrub life, the scrub life chose her.
- practices self-care
- bath bombardier
Her sign looks like the letter "M", which could be a reference to how her first name begins with this letter. Her last name could be a modification of the word Houdek, which is a type of soil only found in the American state South Dakota. Her first name means "purification" in Sanskrit which fits her janitor like appearance. Her last name could be derived from the comet Kohoutek, which before its close approach, was promoted by the media as the "comet of the century" as it was expected it would produce a spectacular display of outgassing; because Comet Kohoutek fell far short of expectations, its name became synonymous with spectacular duds. Additionally, In 1973, David Berg, founder of the Children of God, predicted that Comet Kohoutek foretold a colossal doomsday event in the United States in January 1974.
Lanque Bombyx Edit
- still has a livechurnal
- fang game on point
- and of course, he craves eternal life.
He is the first known trans jade-blooded troll, the only Troll with Life Aspect in Hiveswap, as well as the first confirmed trans man character. His last name is derived from Bombyx mori, the scientific name for silkworms, meaning 'silk' in itself. His first name could be derived from the word "langue" ("language" in French), or from the word "calanque", a cove or inlet on the Mediterranean coast of France.
Remele Namaaq Edit
- Main article: Remele Namaaq
- pirating your fics
- headcanons at the ready
- she takes your shit and makes it better
- Up until week 5, there were uniform couples in regards to Lunar Sway (Prospit and Prospit or Derse and Derse). Diemen and Skylla broke this pattern.
- Up until week 10, there were mixed couples in regards to Lunar Sway (Prospit and Derse or Derse and Prospit). Elwurd and Galekh broke this pattern.
- This pattern was interceded by Vikare and Boldir, who were also a mixed couple in regards to Lunar Sway (Vikare having a sign with a Derse sway and Boldir having a sign with a Prospit sway). Cirava and Tagora brought the uniform couple pattern back subsequently.
- Wanshi and Bronya, being a Doom/Breath couple, mirror Barzum and Baizli, who were also a Doom/Breath couple. Wanshi and Bronya were introduced together with another troll of their blood color, as were Barzum and Baizli.
- Mallek and Nihkee both had the same color card for their introduction despite Mallek being a ceruleanblood and Nihkee being an indigoblood. A distinct color for cerulean-bloods and indigos was later introduced. Mallek's card was confirmed as an error.
- Stelsa also has a darker shade on their card than the other teal-bloods
- Boldir's card has a lighter shade compared to other olive-bloods. Boldir also has horns with a darker shade of red than other trolls.
- However, it's possible these are just errors.
- Boldir's card has a lighter shade compared to other olive-bloods. Boldir also has horns with a darker shade of red than other trolls.
- Konyyl and Azdaja's cards are fused together, making their cards into the only gradient card.
- Their card also uses a brighter shade of yellow/olive compared to the other trolls of the same blood color.
- The card for Kuprum and Folykl seemed to follow suit with the Captors' duality theme in many ways, most notably that unlike the other trolls having three bullet points each, they only had two.
- The only troll with one bullet point is the unnamed Caprira troll.
- All of the gold-bloods in the Troll Call have taller inner horns, while the Captors all have taller outer horns.
- All other jade-blooded trolls in the Troll Call/Homestuck have two different shaped horns, but Lanque's horns are the same shape.
- Likewise, all the other gold-bloods have four horns (two on each side) while Azdaja has only three horns.
- Lanque is the only troll with their real name to show up on the unconfirmed troll call leaks.
- Lanque's card has only one bordering rectangle in the bullet point area, unlike the normal two.
- Remele's card is the only female cerulean-blood troll card that doesn't mention Vriska.
- Marsti's sign was missing in unconfirmed leaks until the Troll Call updates on March 7, 2018.
- Her sign is missing on the Troll Call tracker.
- On February 14th, Fozzer's image in the tracker was changed to the old leaked one, where he's smiling with no shovel. It was changed back on February 21st.
- Zebede and Folykl are the only gold-bloods who don't have two differently colored eyes.
- Elwurd is the only troll whose name is currently only partially known. The introduction of the unidentified Caprira troll produced the second troll with an unknown name, but their name is entirely unknown as opposed to Elwurd, who is merely missing her first name.
- Ardata and Marvus are the only characters whose signs are currently unknown.
- Marvus is the only troll to wear a sign that was not his.
- When a user asked what to call the unnamed purple-blooded troll on Poinko's blog, he replied with "Honktass Buttnutt".
|Hiveswap Friendship Simulatorv · d · e|
|The Player||MSPA Reader|
|Befriendable Trolls|| |
|Supporting Characters||Tick lusus · Ladyy · Mother Grub · Tadashi Inu|
|Locations||Outglut · Ardata's hive · Brooding Caverns · Old Watchtower · Clown Church|
|Related Concepts||Hiveswap · Troll Call|
|Volumes|| Volume One · Volume Two · Volume Three · Volume Four|
Volume Five · Volume Six · Volume Seven · Volume Eight
Volume Nine · Volume Ten · Volume Eleven · Volume Twelve