The stump's location is inconsistent, suggesting that either there are multiple stumps, or that the strange cosmic forces that surround it allow it to be in multiple locations. In Jailbreak the stump was found outside the city after the prisoners escaped from the prison, which Problem Sleuth the city to be the Imaginary City Streets. However Jailbreak's reset shows the stump to be located near a Small Cottage which Problem Sleuth reveals to be in the four kingdoms on the opposite side of the universe. Meanwhile Problem Sleuth itself shows the stump as being located in Death's Game of Life and also the meta-realm inhabited by the MSPA Reader when they have a .
In Homestuck the MSPA Reader's realm is referred to as the planet in The Medium. The Reader is without the stump in-frame during John's retcon shenanigans. Later still, during , the Reader almost commits suicide with the hidden gun after reviewing Lil Cal's full timeline.(LOSAD) indicating that it is the Reader's
- The First Guy - Shot a harpoon through himself and to the stump. While already suffering a harpoon injury his actions may have made it worse.
- The Other Guy - Killed himself using the gun after the First Guy bled to death from his harpoon injury.
- The First Guy, Again - Attempted suicide using the gun, however it was out of bullets.
- Ace Dick - After the deaths of Wifehearst and Sonhearst in the game of Life, Ace Dick is overcome with despair and comes across the stump and promptly uses the gun underneath it to commit suicide. However as it is only a game, Ace Dick is simply ejected from the game and back into the universe.
- The obvious implication of the Land of Stumps and Dismay's acronym (LOSAD) is that it's an unpleasant place to be, supported by the word "Dismay" in its name, as well as the suicidal urges brought on by proximity to the stump.
- It may be based on Shel Silverstein's Giving Tree.